do que, que, de, do, que não, senão
Conjunction(1) introducing the second element in a comparison.(2) used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast.(3) used in expressions indicating one thing happening immediately after another.
(1) No sooner was he seated than Lily sidled closer to him.(2) she does more work than Liam(3) no less a person than the manager(4) He used to get friends to ask girls out for him rather than make the approach himself.(5) He was reviewing books at the rate of more than one a day and writing criticism of a very high order.(6) you're more than welcome(7) we had more than enough(8) We would rather be able to hear than be deaf; we would rather be able to see than be blind.(9) Two walkers came the other way, one said it was better here than London in a heatwave.(10) they observe rather than act(11) he claims not to own anything other than his home(12) hardly had we put the baby down than she started to cry(13) he was much smaller than his son(14) Rather than being told to cut out alcohol, a man might be urged to modify his drinking.(15) Always remember that it is far easier to withhold a service or benefit than to take it away.(16) who did it is more important than why he did it
(1) rather than :: ao invés de
(2) more than :: mais que
(3) less than :: menos que
(4) other than :: outro que não seja
(5) better than :: melhor que
(6) no more than :: não mais que
(7) greater than :: Melhor que
(8) better late than never :: Antes tarde do que nunca
(9) more than that :: mais que isso
1. than ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
I've thought about killing you
more times THAN I can count.
Game of Thrones Season 7, Episode 7
Maybe we don't need to understand
any more THAN that.
Game of Thrones Season 7, Episode 6
and some will perform those
better THAN others.
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 12
They'll keep you safer THAN I ever could.
Game of Thrones Season 6, Episode 2
This is worse THAN
when I had to admit that
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 9
English to Portuguese Dictionary: than
Meaning and definitions of than, translation in Portuguese
language for than with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of than in Portuguese and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'than'
What than means in Portuguese, than meaning
in Portuguese, than
definition, examples and pronunciation
of than in Portuguese language.