civil, civilizado, público, social, cortês, administrativo, delicado
Adjective(1) applying to ordinary citizens as contrasted with the military(2) not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal(3) of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state(4) of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals(5) (of divisions of time(6) of or in a condition of social order
(1) The conversation points may have been slight in content, but there is something to be said for taking the time to be civil to people.(2) The only constraint appears to be a moonless sky for a couple of hours before civil twilight.(3) Well I can't actually be civil to this programme so I won't elaborate.(4) In a world where civil disobedience was treated with toleration, that might be a good strategy.(5) The point of being polite or civil to another human being is not to demonstrate superiority, it is to demonstrate respect.(6) They have also helped spur a quantum leap forward in assessing and quantifying the root causes and health consequences of war, disaster, and civil conflict.(7) When Louis XIV began his personal rule in 1661 he envisioned restoring order to a society suffering from civil strife, international war, and periodic waves of disease and famine.(8) A peaceful world is in the interests of all people, and a world torn by civil conflicts or wars over land, water, and wealth degrades the lives of all.(9) A graduate of four military and two civil universities he has risen through the ranks from the time he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in May 1976.(10) Now one might expect that this measurement of time would either give the number of ritual calendar years since creation or the number of civil calendar years since creation.(11) Later a more accurate value of 365 1/4 days was worked out for the length of the year but the civil calendar was never changed to take this into account.(12) Quebec's case law differs from the rest of Canada in that it follows a civil rather than a common law system.(13) When the activities of a public body, or individual, are relevant to a private law dispute in civil proceedings, public law may in a similar way provide answers which are relevant to the resolution of the private law issue.(14) I am so incredibly civil to him that people often take me to task for it.(15) The team is made up of about 60 military and civil affairs officers doing mostly humanitarian work.(16) It is dedicated to helping women survivors of wars and civil strife and conflict to move from being victims to survivors to activists in their own communities.
(1) civil war :: guerra civil
(2) civil engineer :: engenheiro civil
(3) civil servant :: funcionário público
(4) civil engineering :: Engenharia Civil
(5) civil rights :: direitos civis
(6) civil service :: serviço civil
(7) civil law :: lei civil
(8) civil servants :: funcionários públicos
(9) civil society :: sociedade civil
(10) civil status :: Estado civil
1. secular ::
2. nonmilitary ::
3. internal ::
4. polite ::
5. civic ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Search for reports of burnt cars, both
municipal and from the Guardia Civil."
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 7
Everyone's CIVIL, nobody's fighting.
Have a nice evening.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 7
Let's at least
try to be CIVIL.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 21
will be done by the Civil Guard,
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 2
trying to placate a city
on the brink of CIVIL war.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 10
English to Portuguese Dictionary: civil
Meaning and definitions of civil, translation in Portuguese
language for civil with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of civil in Portuguese and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'civil'
What civil means in Portuguese, civil meaning
in Portuguese, civil
definition, examples and pronunciation
of civil in Portuguese language.